My mother’s side of the family is from New Orleans. I have such fond memories of visiting family there as a girl, and staying at my Aunt Lorraine’s large brownstone in the French Quarter. I’ve made it back a couple of times as an adult, and really enjoyed the Mardi Gras festivities. Since Katrina left her mark on New Orleans, most of my Louisiana family has relocated to Texas and Florida, although I still have one Aunt a few cousins who have refused to let mother nature scare them away. I’ve decided to go back to my family’s roots and plan a Mardi Gras party for my friends and family here in rural Georgia. My party preparations have begun with a fun DIY Mardi Gras Mask Craft. I wasn’t terribly impressed with the selection of masks at the party supply store, that were within my budget. So, I picked up some basic white masks, feathers, and a few other supplies from Michael’s to make my own.
Mardi Gras Mask Craft
Here’s What You’ll Need
Basic white mask
Feathers in assorted colors
Pipe cleaners in assorted colors
Hot glue gun
1. Cover the mask with pipe cleaners. Beginning with the outer edge and working your way around, glue a pipe cleaner to the mask. You’re basically forming a ring around the mask with the pipe cleaner. Continue this until the mask is covered, using different colored pipe cleaners.
2. Next attach the feathers, using a hot glue gun. I used a curved feather hackle for the center, then filled in with single feathers in an assortment of colors. Glue the ends of the feathers directly onto the inside upper edge of the mask.
3. Once the feathers are secure, glue a strip felt over the the ends to make it more comfortable for wear.
- DIY New Year’s Party Hats (aboutamom.com)
- DIY Candy Bouquet for Valentine’s Day and More Dollar Store Crafts (aboutamom.com)
- Fun New Year Craft for Kids – Paper Fortune Cookies (aboutamom.com)
- Guardian Angel Message in a Bottle (aboutamom.com)
- Clean Like a Mother with Method All Purpose Cleaner (aboutamom.com)