It seems like summer break just started, and here we are talking about back to school crafts already. When my son was in grade school it seemed like he could never hold onto his pencils. These pipe cleaner pencil toppers sure would have come in handy back them. Now my nieces will benefit from what I have learned. I wonder which they will like better… the book worm or the butterfly?
Bookworm Pencil Topper
green pipe cleaner
2 small googly eyes
1. Twirl pipe-cleaner around the pencil, working your way up.
2. Double back the pipe-cleaner twice over at the end to form the head of the worm.
3. Adhere googly eyes with craft glue.
4. You have a bookworm pencil!
Butterfly Pencil Topper
2 pipe cleaners in contrasting colors.
1. Start by bending one end of a Chenille stem into a bow shape with one end longer than the other. Wind the short end around the loop to secure.
2. Make two more big loops with the other end of the chenille and then wind the end around the loops to secure.
3. To make the antennae cut a pipe cleaner in half. Fold in half and roll up the ends. Secure the antennae to the body with a twisting action.
4. Use the other half of the pipe cleaner to wind around the center of the butterfly once or twice then continue to wind around the pencil.