I have made many a casserole throughout the years. I just love them and not just because they are usually simple to prepare, but also because my family enjoys them. Have you ever been totally surprised by a recipe – one that far exceeds your expectations? I recently tried tried out a new Beef Noodle Casserole recipe out of convenience, because I was looking for a recipe to uses some ingredients I had on hand. Little did I know this would be the creamiest, most flavorful casserole I have made in a long while. It’s good enough to serve to company, and I certainly plan to very soon.
This Beef Noodle Casserole is a new family favorite! I left it out of the recipe below, but if you’re feeling especially fancy you can substitute the 1/2 cup beef broth for 1/2 cup of burgundy wine. That’s the true beauty of a casserole – you can always switch up the ingredients and still get a delicious meal for your family. Another casserole recipe that I highly recommend is this Chicken Noodle Casserole. It’s comfort food at it’s best!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 (14½ oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- ½ cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 (4 oz.) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ cup beef broth
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup onion, chopped
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 (8 oz.) package wide egg noodles, cooked
- Brown ground beef in a skillet over medium-high heat; drain. Add tomatoes, sauce, green pepper, mushrooms, garlic, salt, sugar, and broth; cover and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, blend together cream cheese, sour cream, onion and one cup Cheddar cheese; set aside.
- In an ungreased 13″ x 9″ inch baking pan, layer half the beef mixture, half the noodles and half the cheese mixture; repeat layers. Top with remaining Cheddar cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F. for 40 minutes.
This recipe came from Gooseberry Patch Best-Ever Casseroles cookbook.