I love Christmas. I love driving around to see the lights on houses. I love to see the decorations. I love to see the beautiful Christmas trees. I love to see how everyone does it differently. Some people want the perfect tree. Everything in the right spot and all of the ornaments the same. Some people let the kids go nuts, and all of the ornaments are clumped together because that is how the kids put them. The ornaments are all a mix up of things that are collected along the years. I think I tend to fall in between. I like the tree to be pretty, with a little order, but also, I like to let Tati have some fun and put the ornaments where she wants them. Since this is the first year Tati and I are decorating a tree together, I want to see the tree reflect everything special to us. It is easy to create a personalized tree when it includes homemade ornaments like this ornament that kids can make.
This adorable little Rudolph-ish ornament is a cute little diy for your and your child to make together. Virtually mess free since the paint goes inside the ornament. Then it gets finish off with a few other craft items that the kids will love to add to it. Make just one or a whole fleet? (Herd? Flock?, which is it, huh, whatever you get what I mean) of reindeer. They are great for the tree and also to add to a present or wreath for a little whimsy.
Make Your Own Reindeer Ornament
1. After removing the hanger cap from the ornament, gently pour in a tablespoon of brown paint. Cover the opening with a piece of tape and your finger, shake well until the inside of your ornament is coated completely brown.
2. Turn the ornament upside down into a small cup and give it a few hours for all excess paint to drip out of the top of the ornament.
3. Wipe any excess paint drips from the top of the ornament.
4. Apply hot glue to back of google eyes, trying not to touch with the hot tip of gun or it can melt them easily. You can also use a tacky craft glue if you prefer and want to let the kids do this part.
5. Attach the red nose the same way to the front of the ornament.
6. For the antlers wrap one brown pipe cleaner around the neck of the ornament where your cap comes off and twist tightly. Spread each end out on either side for antlers. Cut 2 more pieces of pipe cleaner at about 2” long and wrap one around each piece of longer pipe cleaner.
7. Add a string or hook and hang your ornament on the tree.