This post contains affiliate links. That means if you purchase something using these links, About a Mom earns a small commission.
Family meal time is so special to me. It’s a chance for us all to catch up, discuss current events, and of course enjoy some good food. I love making baked pasta dishes with tomato and meat sauce, and this Rigatoni Pasta Bake is one of my favorites. This recipe will feed a hungry crowd, and is also great for leftovers. I know my family really likes it too, if the clean plates are any indication. It sure makes washing the dishes a lot easier when there is a stack of clean plates in the sink. But it is still hard to get the pan clean. The last thing I want to do after a family dinner, is scrub the pan. Using pan liners are a huge help. It cuts down on scrubbing dishes.
The key to a good pasta dish is the sauce, and the key to a good sauce is the tomatoes.
I think my family would agree.
I love how this recipe will feed my large family and still yield a few leftovers. It’s also very simple to prepare. I admit that on occasion I use already prepared sauce, but it’s so simple to make this sauce and it truly does taste a lot better. Are you ready for this clean plate recipe?
- 12 ounces Rigatoni pasta
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 2 (15 ounce cans) Contadina Tomato Sauce
- 28 ounce can Contadina Crushed Tomatoes
- 1½ tablespoon Contadina Tomato Paste
- 1½ cups Mozarella cheese
- ½ cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook pasta according to package directions, until al dente.
- In a large saucepan, brown ground beef and sausage until crumbly and cooked through. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, and tomato paste. Stir in garlic powder, Italian seasoning, sugar, salt and pepper. Allow to simmer 3 - 5 minutes, allowing the flavors to combine. Gently stir pasta into sauce.
- Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Add half the pasta and sauce mixture to the baking dish. Sprinkle half the Mozzarella and Parmesan over the pasta. Repeat with a second layer.
- Bake in preheated 325 oven, covered with foil, for 20-25 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 15 - 20 minutes, until hot and bubbly.
Is there a recipe that makes your family clean their plates?
If you like this recipe, you might also enjoy these: