You can’t go wrong with a good beef and noodle casserole. I have been experimenting a bit lately to come up with ways to make a creamy casserole, that does not include a ‘cream of’ soup in the ingredient list. Instead of a condensed soup, this recipe gets it’s moisture from a blend of sour cream and cottage cheese which also happens to be the ‘tangy’ part of this casserole.
That bit of tang from the sour cream and cottage cheese, blends wonderfully with the tomato based beef topping. I’m quite happy with how this casserole turned out, and judging by all the clean plates, my family was pretty happy with it too.
Tangy Beef and Noodle Casserole
1 1/2 pound ground chuck
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (more or less)
8 ounces egg noodles
1/2 cup sour cream
1 1/4 cup small curd cottage cheese
1/4 cup chopped chives
8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated (Please grate your own cheese. It makes a difference.)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Brown ground chuck in a large skillet. Drain off the fat. Add tomato sauce to the ground beef. Stir in salt and 1/4 tsp. ground pepper. Simmer while you prepare the other ingredients.
3. Cook egg noodles until al dente, according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
4. In a medium bowl, combine the sour cream and cottage cheese. Add 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper. Combine with the noodles and stir. Stir in chopped chives.
5. To assemble, place half of the noodles into a baking dish. Top with half the meat mixture then sprinkle on half of the grated cheese. Repeat. Bake for 20 minutes, or until all cheese is melted. Dig in!