I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mom Central Consulting for Heinz Vinegar. I received a product sample to facilitate my review and as a thank you for participating.
As someone who is of German heritage, I probably don’t enjoy German cuisine as much as I should. Because I like the taste of vinegar so much, there is one German dish I truly enjoy and that’s Traditional German Potato Salad. It’s the apple cider vinegar that really appeals to me in this dish. Last night my mom, Laura, made some for the family and it was delicious! As far as German potato salad goes there aren’t many recipe variations of the traditional dish. I’ve seen the same recipe my mom uses in countless places on the web.
- 1½ pounds potatoes (4 medium) cut into halves
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp celery seed
- dash of pepper
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup vinegar
- In a large pot, heat 1″ salted water to boiling. Add potatoes, heat to boiling, reduce heat and cover. Cook until tender, 10 to 25 minutes. Drain and cool.
- In 10-inch skillet, cook bacon over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until crisp. Remove bacon from skillet with slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
- Cook and stir onion in bacon fat until tender.
- Stir in flour, sugar, salt, celery seed, and pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is bubbly.
- Stir in water and vinegar. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Slice warm potatoes into hot mixture, crumble bacon in.
- Cook, stirring gently to coat potato slices, till hot and bubbly.
Apple cider vinegar is good for so much more than German potato salad. In the kitchen you can use it as a non-toxic cleaning spray when mixed with water. Most cleaning supplies are full of harsh chemicals, so apple cider vinegar is an excellent, inexpensive alternative to many cleaning products. It absorbs odors and has antibacterial properties. Simply mix one part apple cider vinegar to one part water, and put it in a spray bottle. Spray the solution on hard surfaces such as hardwood floors, bathroom tiles, cabinets and countertops, then wipe it off with a rag.
Also, it’s not just for cooking and cleaning. Did you know that there are also many medicinal uses for apple cider vinegar? If you can get over the taste of apple cider vinegar, you will find it to be one of the most important natural remedies available. Eat and drink apple cider vinegar to improve your health. Use it as an ingredient in your salad dressings, for pickling vegetables, making coleslaw and many more delicious recipes.
Apple cider vinegar by itself is quite strong, so you will want to dilute it first. Try mixing 1 tablespoon with a cup of water or herbal tea.
7 medicinal uses of apple cider vinegar:
1. Apple cider vinegar helps tummy troubles. Sip some apple cider vinegar mixed with water. If a bacterial infection is at the root of your diarrhea, apple cider vinegar could help contain the problem, thanks to its antibiotic properties.
2. You can use apple cider vinegar to neutralize and relieve sunburn. Dilute it in water and pat on the sore skin, or add a cupful to your bath.
3. Relieve gas, bloating, and heartburn. Just take a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar diluted in water or tea before a meal. It can also help alleviate the symptoms of heartburn.
4. Apple cider vinegar can cure the hiccups. Its sour taste could stop a hiccup in its tracks. Take a teaspoonful of apple cider vinegar.
5. Clear a stuffy nose by mixing a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water and drink. This helps sinus drainage. I can attest to this one personally – my stuffy nose cleared right up while my mom was heating the apple cider vinegar on the stove top last night when making our potato salad.
6. It is said that apple cider vinegar will sooth a soar throat. most germs can’t survive in the acidic environment vinegar creates, so as soon as you feel a sore throat coming on head the infection off at the pass by gargling a mixture of 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar and 1/4 cup warm water.
7. You can use apple cider vinegar as a facial cleanser to eradicate blemishes. Use it as an astringent, by soaking a washcloth/cotton pad in diluted apple cider vinegar and applying it to your face. Or, you can simply dab it right onto blemishes.
Ultra-filtered all-natural Heinz Apple Cider Vinegar has a 5% acidity rate that makes it perfect for canning to pickling and even sanitizing. It retains the “mother” of the vinegar – a compound created naturally during vinegars fermentation process. For additional information and recipes using Heinz Apple Cider Vinegar and Heinz Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar, please visit the Heinz Vinegar web site. Also check out their new Pinterest board for more inspiration!
What are some of your favorite uses of apple cider vinegar?