I love summertime. It’s the time of year when I cut back on my workload and enjoy more family time. It’s so much fun going to the beach, state parks, and planning outdoor adventures. It’s my favorite time of year to enjoy a picnic lunch. As much as I enjoy the summer, I try to be mindful of the rising temperatures and the dangers of heat exposure. It’s so easy for parents and kids to get overheated. Here are some of my tips for keeping cool this summer.
Related Article: 4 Killer Hot Dog Recipes for Summer
10 Tips for Keeping Cool this Summer
1. Keep a Cold Water Spray Bottle. A simple yet effective way to lower the body temperature is by spraying yourself with cold water from a spray bottle kept in the fridge. Give yourself a refreshing spray, after being outdoors. Make sure you have a hand towel to wipe off any excess water.
2. Eat Ice Pops. Icy cold popsicles are a delicious way to keep cool. Try making your own homemade popsicles to keep the cost down.
3. Pay attention to what you wear. Wear loose fitting clothing, in light colors. When outdoors the light colored clothing will help reflect the heat, keeping you cooler. Cotton clothing will keep you cooler than many synthetics.
4. Stay well hydrated. Drink water frequently. Try drinking at least 8 ounces of water every hour.
5. Keep a fan running. Fans can help circulate air and make you feel cooler even in an air-conditioned house. I have a big oscillating fan that I like to run in my bedroom at night.
Related Article: Build Your Own Sundae Bar
6. Go for a swim or play in the sprinkler.
7. Try using a water misting fan. These portable devices are battery operated so you can take them with you wherever you go. I often see people with these at outdoor events.
8. Pace yourself. Keeping up your usual pace can be difficult when heat and humidity hit. Schedule your activities wisely and slow down. Sunrise and sunset are the coolest times to exercise.
9. Stay indoors. This might seem very obvious, but sometimes we don’t realize just how hot it is outside and come indoors where it is air conditioned.
10. Use a portable air conditioner. When the temperatures are at their highest, your central A/C or window cooling units might not be cutting it.
Sarah @ Must Have Mom says
That looks like soo much fun! We love sprinklers.
Kelly @ Texas Type A Mom says
Those ice pops look amazing and my girls were just staying cool running through the sprinklers yesterday!
These are great suggestions!! Thank you! I love those popsicles!
I always keep my fan running well into the fall. I love feeling cold and snuggling under the blankets.
Anne - Mommy Has to Work says
These are all great ideas! We go to the pool often to keep cool.
Great ideas. It is way too hot out right now.
Nancy @ Whispered Inspirations says
These are great tips to stay cool. I think the best is getting wet outside, nice and cool!
We are almost finished adding on a sunroom to our home and have been trying to decide how to heat and cool it… this might be our solution!
I know it’s best for your lawn to be watered in the morning or night, but I have been holding off because the kids have so much fun playing in the sprinklers. It’s our favorite way to keep cool.
Marcie W. says
Great suggestions! I think it’s safe to say after over thirty summers spent in the Las Vegas desert, I have done all of these at one time or another.