A good back to school haircut can help a student head into the new school year with confidence. Here are 5 head-smackingly simple tips to help your child get a back-to-school haircut they love, courtesy of Hair Cuttery owner & longtime stylist Dennis Ratner:
5 Tips for the Perfect Back to School Haircut
1. Come to the salon with a plan. In the days leading up to a haircut, ask your child what type of cut he or she wants. Use reference points like family members or celebrities to help them capture their ideas. This way, stylists can get an idea of what your child wants, even if they clam up when they get in the styling chair.
2. Ask for someone who specializes in children. Many salons-including all Hair Cuttery locations-employ stylists who focus on kids’ cuts. These pros specialize in cutting kids’ hair AND working with kids’ personalities. Using them can make the difference between a great experience and a so-so one.
Related Article: 50 Fun Things to Ask Alexa
3. Use examples. When it comes to hair, pictures really ARE worth 1,000 words. Many styling terms are subjective-how short is short? Showing your stylist a photo helps make sure everyone’s on the same page.
4. Take baby steps toward a big change. If your child wants to make a drastic change to their hair-like going from short to long, or changing a years-old look, breaking it into smaller increments can help ease your child’s adjustment to the change. Bonus-If you aren’t liking the look, this also gives you the opportunity to stop before things go too far!
5. Get post-cut styling tips. Before leaving the salon, ask the stylist to demonstrate how they styled the cut. Stylists are more than happy to share techniques and products (like shampoos and conditioners) that can help you recreate the look at home. When in doubt, you can also get styling tips & instructions online through dedicated hairstyle blogs.
You might also be interested in reading about how to let go of the mom guilt for good.
Melissa Lawler says
Those are great tips! Thanks for sharing them.
Ellen Christian says
Great suggestions! We’re heading off to get a hair cut tomorrow!
Sophie S says
That is such a cool program! I always take pics with me too, can’t be too clear 🙂
Great program. Thanks for the tips.
Diane K. Brimmer says
Those are some really great ideas. Thanks for sharing.
What great tips! That is an awesome program!
Those are great tips! Especially baby steps to a big change! Nothing worse than a bad haircut right before school!!
Dianna Thomas says
Share a haircut sounds like one of the best programs that I’ve seen in a long time– I notice our Pennys salon has free haircut–age requirements–in Aug–another great idea
I completely agree that having a plan is important – for grownups, too! 🙂
I’ve been thinking about school haircuts and wondering what to do for my daughter. She’s only going into preschool but it’s still important. 🙂 Good tips!