This post is part of the SPLENDA® 365 SWEET SWAPS ™ blogger program by McNeil Nutritionals, LLC. and The Motherhood, who sent me products and compensated me for my time. Opinions, experiences and photos shared here are my own, and I hope you enjoy them.
I have a sweet tooth. Big time. It might just be my greatest weakness.
Fortunately, I have found ways to satisfy my sweet tooth with less sugar by using SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener. I use it in my coffee, sprinkle it over fruit, and I bake with it. The thing I love about SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener is that it works pretty much anywhere I might use sugar. For baking I prefer using SPLENDA® Sugar Blend and SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend which have half the sugar and half the calories that you’ll get when baking with plain sugar.
Blueberry Crumb Cake is one of those recipes where the SPLENDA® Sugar Blend works perfectly.
This classic crumb cake is perfect for breakfast, dessert, or snacking. I don’t feel so guilty enjoying it, since it has half the calories and sugar. This is an adapted recipe that I pulled from the pages of “Martha Stewart Living” magazine many years ago. I have been making for as far back as I can remember. It’s a good one!
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
1 cup Splenda® Sugar Blend
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups sour cream
3 cups blueberries
Blueberry Crumb Topping Blueberry Crumb Topping
crumb topping ingredients:
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1/2 cup packed Splenda® Brown Sugar Blend
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Into a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Butter a 9-inch square baking pan.
2. Prepare crumb topping. In a medium bowl, combine cinnamon, salt, Splenda® Brown Sugar Blend, and flour. Cut in the butter using your hands, two knives, or a pastry blender until well combined and crumbly. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and Splenda® Sugar Blend until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, until well combined. Add vanilla, and beat until combined. Add reserved flour mixture and the sour cream, and beat just until well combined. Fold in 2 cups blueberries. Spoon batter into prepared pan. Toss remaining cup blueberries with the crumb topping. Sprinkle crumb topping over cake. Bake until golden brown and cake tester comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes.
I am loving the SPLENDA® 365 Sweet Swaps™ Campaign which is about making smart choices for healthy living. You can visit www.365SweetSwaps.com for more great ways to swap out added sugar in your diet!
How would you swap Splenda® for sugar in your kitchen?
Blueberry Crumb Cake
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
- 1 cup Splenda® Sugar Blend
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups sour cream
- 3 cups blueberries
- Blueberry Crumb Topping
- crumb topping ingredients:
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 cup packed Splenda® Brown Sugar Blend
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature