I love upcycled craft projects. I was thrilled to learn how to make a diy cereal box notebook. My family goes through a lot of cereal, so this is perfect. It’s such a fun and simple craft, totally something the kids can help with, and perfect for back to school.
Grab a cereal box, pull out some craft paper and get ready!
DIY Cereal Box Notebook
Inspired by Creme de la Craft. Be sure to check out this site. They have some really neat stuff!
What You’ll Need:
• Cereal box (1 cereal box makes 2 notebooks. You can also use cardboard, cardstock or gift boxes)
• Paper for the inside pages (I used computer paper, but you can also use lined or graph paper)
• A piece of decorative paper (to cover the spine)
• Glue stick, tape runner or double-sided tape
• Darning Needle and embroidery floss
How to Make It:
1. Cut out the cereal box to create the cover for your notebook. I cut it the same size as the paper. 8.5″ x 11″
2. To cover the images of the cereal box, apply glue or tape to the inside of the notebook and place a piece of paper on top to attach. Cut around the edges to remove any excess paper.
3. Fold it in half so that the blank side is facing out.
4. Run embroidery floss through the needle and sew on the button to the front of the notebook. Leave about 20″ of the thread hanging. This will be used to wrap around the notebook to close. This is done easiest with a large gauge darning needle.
5. Grab your paper for the inside pages. With the needle and embroidery floss, stitch the paper to the notebook down the spine. Tie a knot around the back of the book. This will be covered with paper later and not seen.
6. Apply glue or tape to your decorative paper and attach it to the spine of the notebook.
7. You can now use that extra string to wrap around your book and secure it shut by wrapping it around the button.
You can make these in any size, or style. Enjoy!
You might also like this Cereal Box Pencil Case.
Amanda @ Adorkablii says
This is awesome!!! I actually wanted to learn how to make my own notebooks and one day I think I am going to give it a go!! I see some little dudes who would love a minecraft version of this! hehe
Marcie W. says
I love the idea of upcycling and reusing things, so this craft is especially cool. Thanks for sharing!
Sandy Cain says
Now how cool is this! I’m going to stop tossing out all those endless empty Rice Krispies boxes and put them to good use now!
That’s so clever. I thought that I recycled everything! If I had kids at home, I would do this.
What a fun craft and up cycle idea! My boys would love this for a Saturday project!
Fee Roberts says
This is adorable. I would have never known that this was made out of a cereal box. So creative!