The fact that 1 in 5 children in America go to bed hungry is unimaginable, but it’s a reality. That’s 16 million children – equate that to the populations of Los Angeles, New York City, Chicago and Philadelphia combined. I know. It’s mind blowing.
I am so proud to partner with Unilever Project Sunlight to encourage people to get involved and help put an end to child hunger in America. Unilever has agreed to make contribution in my name to Feeding America, in exchange for helping spread the word about the #ShareAMeal initiative. Unilever Project Sunlight is an initiative focused on encouraging people to create a brighter future for children – by taking small steps to live sustainably, use less and share even more.
Unilever is in partnership with Feeding America, an amazing organization which serves approximately 12 million children each year.
Share A Meal to Help Turn the Tables on Child Hunger in America.
These hungry children are our neighbors and friends. Maybe even family. Most suffer silently, wondering where their next meal will come from if at all. It’s so easy for you and me to help children and families in need.
Unilever wanted to share stories about Americans who are struggling with hunger. With the help of Unilever Bright Future Award recipient, Patrick Creadon, Unilever has created a heart-wrenching and inspiring look at how Americans are grappling with child hunger in a four-minute documentary called “Going to Bed Hungry: The Changing Face of Child Hunger.”
This touching documentary reveals the power and promise of a shared meal for families across America. I hope this documentary has inspired you to help. One way you can help is by sharing a meal this holiday season. Visit ProjectSunlight.us. There you can download the informative Unilever Share A Meal Toolkit to learn more about the power of a shared meal.
Unilever Project Sunlight wants to encourage people around the country to get involved. The small act of sharing a meal could have a big impact on a family in need. Below you will find a variety of small actionable ways to Share A Meal and help fight child hunger here in the U.S.
- Share A Meal Potluck – Host neighboring families for a dinner and invite a family in need to join.
- Get Your Community Involved – Partner with a local community organization to host community potluck in your area.
- Local Food Drives – Organize your very own food drive or utilize the Feeding America online Food Bank Locator tool to get in touch with a local food and volunteer at a food drive.
- Host a Virtual Food Drive – Plan a virtual food drive with measurable goals online using the Feeding America Personal Fundraiser tool and promote participation in your community.
- Create your OWN way to share.
Please retweet and help me spread the word!
— About a Mom (@aboutamom) October 14, 2014
I hope this inspires you to #ShareAMeal and help end child hunger in America.