So many of my holiday memories took place in a kitchen. From baking with my mom as a child to baking Christmas cookies with my own son and nieces, many holiday memories started in the kitchen. Each year, the entire family looks forward to a festive holiday meal on Christmas day. I think most people associate warm holiday moments with memories of cooking or baking with family and friends.
Sadly, sometimes all of that cooking and baking can result in a kitchen fire. I am glad to partner with Kidde for this sponsored post to share some holiday fire safety tips.
Did you know that cooking is the number one cause of home fires and injuries, and that the winter months are the deadliest season for home fires? Most fatal home fires happen in homes with no smoke alarm or no working alarm. In fact nearly five times as many Americans know the shelf life of a Twinkie than know the recommended operating life of a smoke alarm. (source: Kidde survey).
Kidde Holiday Recipe for Safety
To help you get prepared this holiday season, Kidde, the world’s largest manufacturer of fire safety products, has put together a Recipe for Fire Safety, which you can print and use to get everything you need to keep your family and home safe this holiday season.
One of the most important safety items that you need is to be sure you have in your home is working smoke alarms. It is important to have several on each floor of your home. Kidde designs and develops smoke alarms, carbon monoxide alarms, fire extinguishers, escape ladders and more to protect people and property from the effects of fire and its related hazards.
Do you have a kitchen fire extinguisher handy in case of a grease fire or other self-contained fire occurrence? Amidst all of your holiday cooking and baking, it’s important to make sure you have a fire extinguisher on hand. The simple act of having a fire extinguisher handy just might make the difference between a small situation that can be efficiently handled and a large, drastic, life-changing event.
Giveaway: Kidde wants to make your holiday season a little safer! One lucky About A Mom reader will win a Kidde Kitchen Fire Extinguisher. To enter, simply leave a comment below telling us about your favorite holiday memories. I bet many of them took place in a kitchen! Giveaway ends on December 31, 2014 at 11:59pm EST, and is open to US readers.
Update: This giveaway has ended. Congratulations to our winner Michelle W!
What are your favorite holiday memories? Were any of them in the kitchen?