Last week we were in the midst of an ice storm, but this week is a whole different story. In stark contrast to the ice storm, we reached a record breaking 82 degrees today. I am not foolish enough to think that winter is done with us, but this unexpected warm up was the perfect chance for us to spend some time out on the screened porch and enjoy the perfect pairing of some Savory Herb Buttermilk Biscuits and Smucker’s® Natural Fruit Spreads. It was a scrumptious afternoon! I’m so glad to be participating in a sponsored campaign with Smucker’s Naturals and the Mom It Forward Blogger Network to help Smucker’s spread a little sunshine this winter.
Doesn’t that look divine?
Smucker’s was kind enough to send me a gourmet Crate & Barrel cheese board, jam spreader, and a variety of Smucker’s® Natural Fruit Spreads to share with my family. This unseasonably warm afternoon was the perfect time to make some biscuits and enjoy the fruity spreads. I loved the sweet and savory combination of the Smucker’s Naturals Fruit Spreads on the herb and cheese biscuits.
The Smucker’s Natural Fruit Spreads, made with ingredients from natural sources, are made with no preservaties. Made with real sugar, these spreads are naturally delicious, and are available in four delicious fruit flavors – Strawberry, Red Raspberry, Orange Marmalade and Concord Grape.
A Smucker’s Pairing is a simple uniting of unique and/or traditional ingredients with fruit spreads as the star that are easy for any home cook to create and have a wow factor!
I guess it would be rude for me to not share my Savory Herb Buttermilk Biscuit recipe with you.
Savory Herb Buttermilk Biscuits
1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese — grated
1/2 cup cheddar cheese — grated
2 teaspoons fresh rosemary — minced
2 teaspoons fresh thyme — minced
1 teaspoon Italian parsley — minced
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter — chilled, cut in tiny cubes
2 large eggs — beaten
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup heavy cream
Additional cream for brushing on the tops
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a small bowl, stir together 1 Tablespoon Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, 2 Tablespoons cheddar cheese and 1/2 tsp each rosemary, thyme and parsley. Set aside for sprinkling over the top of the biscuits.
3. In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Scatter the butter over the top and cut into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Quickly mix in the eggs, buttermilk and 1/2 cup cream. Quickly mix in remaining cheeses and herbs.
4. Turn dough onto a lightly floured work surface and divide dough in half. Roll each half of the dough to approximately 3/4 to 1 inch in thickness. Use the mouth of a glass or biscuit cutter to cut biscuits. Arrange biscuits on the prepared baking sheet. Brush the top of each biscuit with a little cream, then sprinkle on the reserved cheese and herb mixture. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the bottoms are lightly golden. The tops of these will not show browning or even a golden color – look at the bottom to determine if they’re done.
5. Serve immediately with Smucker’s Naturals Fruit Spreads and enjoy.
Win a Smucker’s Naturals Prize Package
This was a delicious afternoon for sure, for both my daughter and I. I’m not a stingy person, so I want one of you to receive the same wonderful Smucker’s Naturals gift pack that I received. One lucky About A Mom winner will win a Prize Package consisting of the following:
Assortment of Smucker’s® Natural Fruit Spreads
Gourmet Crate & Barrel cheese board
jam spreader (it’s really nice!)
$75 Gift Card (to help you get the rest of your ingredients)
I think of this giveaway as a fabulousway to “Spread a Little Sunshine this Winter” with the help of Smucker’s® Natural Fruit Spreads. We all need a little break from the cold, after all. This giveaway is open to U.S. residents, ages 18+ and ends on March 3, 2014 at 11:59pm EST. Please enter via the Rafflecopter entry form below. Good luck!
Be sure to connect with Smucker’s Naturals on Facebook!