My family has had such a fun-filled summer. Returning to school means a whole new schedule and busier days for my granddaughters. It’s important to make sure they have the right fuel for their growing minds and bodies. It’s also important to make sure they don’t become afternoon couch potatoes, which tweens and teens are inclined to do. Horizon Organic reminds us that it’s important to keep kids active and healthy all year long. I am glad to partner with them to share some tips to keep kids active and healthy.
1. Limit TV time. I mentioned how tweens and teens are inclined to be couch potatoes, but limiting TV time is important for younger kids too. Instead choose activities that promote active learning, such as a neighborhood scavenger.
2. Encourage outdoor games. There are so many classic games to play outside, such as Tag, Follow the Leader, Hide and Seek, and the Hokey Pokey. Games like Hopscotch, and Four Square will even help younger children learn their numbers while keeping physically fit.
3. Make chore time fun. Do family chores together, and make it more fun by playing some upbeat tunes and setting challenges.
4. Set a good example. I have to take good care of myself to be able to keep up with my grandkids and busy family. Kids are going to do what you do, so when you exercise and eat healthy foods, you are setting an example that will shape your child’s habits for life.
5. Provide healthy foods. It’s important to have a variety of healthy snacks and foods available for active kids and teens. The Horizon Organic Milk Boxes are great for kids on-the-go. Put one in your child’s lunch box, and toss another into their backpack. The shelf-stable milk is also perfect for little ones to drink at the park. Tuberz® yogurt tubes are both healthy and fun to eat. Horizon® Snack Grahams or Cheese Sticks are other delicious snack choices.
I make a kid friendly pasta that my granddaughters really enjoy. It’s great for packing in a lunchbox, along with your Horizon Organic Milk Box. This pasta salad is a real kid pleaser and simple to make.
Kid Friendly Pasta
8 ounces whole grain pasta
2 cups cubed chicken breast
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
4 tablespoons grated carrot
1/2 – 1 cup Ranch dressing
Directions: Boil pasta according to package directions. Drain completely and add to a bowl. Stir in additional ingredients. Serve warm or cold. Easy peasy!
Note: You can make your own Ranch dressing by mixing 1 Tbsp. Ranch seasoning with 1/3 cup Greek yogurt and 1/3 cup Horizon Organic Milk.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Horizon Organic. The opinions and text are all mine.