Traditional German Potato Salad
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes (4 medium) cut into halves
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp celery seed
- dash of pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- In a large pot, heat 1" salted water to boiling. Add potatoes, heat to boiling, reduce heat and cover. Cook until tender, 10 to 25 minutes. Drain and cool.
- In 10-inch skillet, cook bacon over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until crisp. Remove bacon from skillet with slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
- Cook and stir onion in bacon fat until tender.
- Stir in flour, sugar, salt, celery seed, and pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is bubbly.
- Stir in water and vinegar. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Slice warm potatoes into hot mixture, crumble bacon in.
- Cook, stirring gently to coat potato slices, till hot and bubbly.
Recipe by About a Mom at https://www.aboutamom.com/traditional-german-potato-salad/