I came up with the idea for this ghost craft project while doing a Bing search for Halloween art dolls. Many of the dolls I came across were a bit to creepy for me, so I settled on making a more whimsical ghost doll using gauze and an old t-shirt. If you want to make this spooky gauze ghost yourself, download my pattern here. This doll is very simple to make and will add just the right amount of spook to your Halloween festivities.
Spooky Gauze Ghost Doll
Here’s What You’ll Need
old white t-shirt
2 pieces of floral stem wire
needle and thread
white floral tape
1 roll white gauze
2 small black beads
Elmers craft glue
batting (enough to fill the ghost)
1) Download, print, and cut out ghost pattern. Pin the ghost pattern onto a piece from an old white t-shirt, and cut around the pattern. Double the fabric to get both sides of the ghost cut at once, or repeat to get a second ghost.
2) Loosely hand stitch around the ghost, allowing no more a 1/4 inch seam allowance. Leave a one inch opening at the top of the head, for stuffing. Also, leave a very small opening at the tip of the tail to insert the wire.
3) Wrap 2 pieces of floral wire together with white floral tape, covering twice.
4) Insert the wrapped wire into the tail of the ghost up to within an inch of the head. Secure the tail of the fabric to the wire with the white floral tape.
5) Stuff batting into the ghost, stuffing it around the wire and keeping the wire to the center of the ghost as much as possible.
6) Stitch the head of the ghost closed.
7) Shape the tail into a spiral.
8) Mix equal parts of glue and water. Cut gauze into strips of varying sizes. Using a brush, put a light coating of glue mixture all over the ghost. Wrap the ghost with the gauze strips, brushing more glue as needed to hold the strips into place. Continue wrapping gauze until ghost is completely covered. Allow to dry completely, over night.
9) Sew two beads into place for the eyes.