This is the best easy cheesy Mexican rice recipe. It is a restaurant-style Spanish rice recipe that comes together in no time. Serve this flavorful Mexican side dish with your favorite enchiladas or chimichangas. It is the perfect side for Taco Tuesday!
What should you serve Mexican rice with?
Authentic Mexican rice is so easy to make and a necessary side dish for all your favorite Mexican Recipes. Much like my cilantro lime rice, I like to pair this cheesy Mexican rice with these favorite main dishes:
Ingredients Needed for Cheesy Mexican Rice
For your convenience, a printable version of the complete recipe and nutritional information is located at the bottom of this post.
Here’s what you’ll need:
cooked white rice
canned diced tomatoes
diced green pepper
taco seasoning (try this homemade taco seasoning)
canned diced green chiles
diced white onion
shredded Mexican cheese blend
chopped tomatoes, onion and cilantro for optional garnish
How to Make this easy Mexican Rice Recipe
The process to make this cheesy Mexican rice recipe is quite simple. You’ll combine all ingredients, except for the cheese and garnish, in a large bowl and stir to combine.
Stir in the cheese then transfer to a non-stick skillet and allow to cook for 20 minutes. Stir fairly often so the rice and cheese don’t stick to the pan. After transferring rice to a serving bowl, I like to garnish the top with a sprinkling of diced tomato, chopped cilantro and onion.
How to Store and Reheat Mexican Rice
Refrigerate: Let the Mexican rice cool to room temperature then transfer to a tightly covered airtight container. You may safely store it in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days.
Microwave: To reheat small portions, microwave rice in a microwave safe container with a couple teaspoons of water for 60-90 seconds or until warmed throughout.
Stove: For larger portions, transfer rice to a nonstick skillet along with a couple tablespoons of water or chicken broth. Heat over medium heat, stirring often until warmed throughout.
Cheesy Mexican Rice
- 4 cups prepared white rice
- 16 oz. diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup diced green pepper
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 4.5 oz. can diced green chiles, undrained
- 1/2 cup diced white onion
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- chopped tomatoes, onion and cilantro for garnish (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine the prepared white rice with all ingredients except the cheeses and optional garnish. Stir until fully combined. Lastly, stir in the cheese.
- Pour into a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Allow to cook for about 20 minutes, stirring about every five minutes. Make sure the cheese is not sticking to the bottom of the pan and is getting stirred back into the rice. However, do not stir too much to ensure caramelization. If you get a few crunchy bits, that's perfectly OK. In fact, that's my favorite part of the rice!
My family just loves Mexican food! How about yours? If you like this recipe please Pin It and share with your friends!
You might also enjoy: