We love our Disney side. Between Disney movies and having annual passes to Disney Parks, we are a bit obsessed. And it goes for most Disney concepts. From Mickey to Dory, to Marvel to Star Wars, my family loves them all. These fun DIY Leia and Hans Solo ornaments are for the Star Wars geek in you!
“ I love you”…” I Know.” – The complicated intergalactic love of Hans Solo and Princess Leia that launched 1,000 tie fighters. To celebrate our Star Wars love, we decided we should create some Star Wars ornament to go with the Reindeer ornament and Diary of a Wimpy Kid ornament we made the other day.
This a very simple technique to create the ornaments; where you pour the paint on the inside of the ornament! It saves so much mess and no brush lines either! There is some painting on the outside, but most of the paint is on the inside.
Glass or plastic clear ornaments
Flesh colored craft paint
Brown craft paint
Black paint pen
Brown chenille stems (pipe cleaners)
Small paint brushes
Hot glue gun/sticks
1. Remove top/hanger from your ornament.
2. Squeeze a Tbsp. of flesh colored paint into the opening and shake or roll until the inside is completely coated with paint, repeat with second ornament, adding more paint if needed. Turn upside down on a disposable cup and allow paint to drip out for at least 2 hours, overnight is best so the paint can completely dry.
3.Once you remove from the cup, wipe the opening down with a wet wipe to remove any extra paint drips.
For both characters I painted approximately the same hairline as the base since Leia’s hair is pulled into a bun and gave her just a bit more hair, give them both a part in the front. Using a smaller paintbrush will give you more control and allow you to put more detail on it.
4. Allow the hair to dry, it shouldn’t take long if you don’t put a really thick layer on.
5. Give each a dot for the eyes using a black paint marker, keeping it simple makes it easy to do no matter what level artist you are but still makes it clear who the characters are.
- Leia- I gave her smaller eyebrows, eyelashes and a larger smile to make her a bit more feminine.
- Hans-Smaller slightly angrier eyebrows for Hans Solo and a barely there smile.
6. Finally the fun part, and this really was fun, creating Leia’s famous buns. Cut a brown chenille stem in half and wind each piece around your finger, smashing the spiral almost flat as you go. Keep working with it until you are satisfied with the shape of the buns.
7. Run a bead of hot glue all the way around the base and quickly press onto the side of her head and hold for about 30 seconds until hot glue is cooled and set, repeat on the other side.
Your happy space couple are ready to be hung on the tree or gifted to someone who loves Star Wars.
Heidi Robbins says
Oh my goodness! What a fun idea and easy for kids to make!
Ohmygoodness…these ornaments are too cute. I know several people who would love these on their Christmas tree.
These are so creative and cute! What a great gift for a Star Wars fan!
Dennis Kiedrowicz says
Hello, I am an absolutly star wars fan.
Can you please write me an email?