Many of you know that my mom, Laura, is a pretty spectacular cook. She is the person behind most of the recipes we share on About a Mom. This time of the year, when it’s cold outside and we are rushing around to finish holiday shopping, there isn’t much I enjoy more than a bowl of Grandma Laura’s lentil soup. It warms the soul and brings that comfort we so crave on a cold dreary day.
I could eat a bowl of soup for dinner every day this time of the year. It’s the perfect holiday comfort food. Fortunately, it’s easy to make a pot of homemade soup if you have a few essential ingredients like a can of tomatoes and some beans. Or if you’re spoiled like me, you have your Mom make a pot of soup.
Grandma Laura’s Lentil Soup
10 ounces lentils, rinsed and drained
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 carrots, diced
3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (14.5 ounce) can Contadina Diced Tomatoes
2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
1 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons salt
1. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan, and saute carrots, celery, and onion until just tender. Add the finely minced garlic and saute an additional minute or two.
2. Add tomatoes, lentils, broth, and salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning to the same pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for approximately or until lentils are tender. Add additional chicken broth or water if necessary, until you have achieved the desired consistency.
What’s your favorite holiday comfort food?
You’ll love this fun video where Meg Ryan (wink) shares her famous spaghetti sauce recipe!
Here are more great recipes featuring Contadina tomatoes:
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Contadina via Glam Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Contadina.
Grandma Laura's Lentil Soup
- 10 ounces lentils rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 carrots diced
- 3 stalks celery thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves finely minced
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 14.5 ounce can Contadina Diced Tomatoes
- 2 14.5 ounce cans chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan, and saute carrots, celery, and onion until just tender. Add the finely minced garlic and saute an additional minute or two.
- 2. Add tomatoes, lentils, broth, and salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning to the same pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for approximately or until lentils are tender. Add additional chicken broth or water if necessary, until you have achieved the desired consistency.
Debbie Welchert says
I love trying new soups and this one sounds wonderful. I can’t remember ever trying lentils and this would be a great way for me to give them a try.
I’ve been on a lentils kick, and haven’t made soup yet (how can that be?). I don’t know, but I’ve been having them as a side dish with mashed potatoes, etc. I love how it doesn’t take that long to cook them, unlike beans. This soup sounds fantastic, no ham bone needed! I want to make this tonight!