This year Mardi Gras falls on February 12, 2013. That’s tomorrow! I was inspired to make masks for the kids, after making some grown up Mardi Gras Masks last week. I love doing paper plate craft projects with my grandchildren, and with a paper plate and some basic craft supplies you and your child can make some very festive masks to celebrate Mardi Gras.
To make a Mardi Gras mask you can use whatever craft supplies you have on hand, and of course a paper plate. If you don’t have any feathers, use artificial flowers or ribbon instead. Listed below are the supplies that I used.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
wooden skewer, dowel, chop stick or sturdy straw ( I used a skewer with the sharp ends snipped off.)
craft paint and brushes
glitter glue pens
stick on gems
craft glue and hot glue gun
1. Cut the paper plate in half. Then cut out holes for the eyes and a diamond shape into the top.
2. Paint with craft paint and allow to dry.
3. Paint with glitter glue and allow to dry.
4. Embellish with gems, feathers, ribbon, or flowers.
5. Paint the dowel or stick and allow to dry. Glue stick onto the back side of the mask.
Fun Facts about Mardi Gras
The name Mardi Gras (which is in French) means Fat Tuesday, a day of feasting before the start of Lent on Ash Wednesday. Some say the term means the over-indulgences of the day.
The first known Mardi Gras parade in New Orleans took place in 1837.
Mardi Gras is also celebrated in Brazil, Rio de Janeiro, Bolivia, Caribbean Islands, Alabama, Texas, Venice Italy, Spain, and Germany.
The Mardi Gras colors are green, purple, and gold.
- DIY Mardi Gras Mask Craft (aboutamom.com)
- Fun New Year Craft for Kids – Paper Fortune Cookies (aboutamom.com)
- DIY New Year’s Party Hats (aboutamom.com)
- Cinnamon Salt Dough Hearts (aboutamom.com)
- Hershey Bar Reindeer – Holiday Craft (aboutamom.com)
Cathy Jarolin says
I absolutely love this idea of making Mardi Gras Mask. Its so clever and so pretty..I will have fun making this with my Grand Daughter. I will love to embellish them with sparkley stones & Lace..Thankyou for the posting..
What a cute mask!
Lauralee Moss says
This is so neat. I pinned it so I can do it in a few months!
Kristina and Millie says
awesome mask!! love that it’s upcycled and gorgeous! We started a new Creative Craft Challenge link up for recycled/upcycled crafts, hope you will join us!
What a cute idea for the kiddos. Thanks for sharing at Share It One More Time. Cathy
Very imaginative, and very beautiful! It looks like you bought i from a specialty shop. Thanks for sharing.