Tis the season for all things pumpkin and spice, and I think these Mini Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Chocolate Frosting perfectly capture the flavors of the fall season. You’re sure to find yourself grabbing quite a few of these little two-bite treasures. The recipe calls for canned pumpkin puree, but if you happen to be carving a pumpkin for Halloween some fresh pumpkin puree would be ideal. The frosting recipe comes from McCormick and pairs perfectly with these cupcakes.
Mini Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Chocolate Frosting
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons softened butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup 2 sticks butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate melted
- 1 tablespoon Cinnamon Ground
- 1 box 16 ounces confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- For the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line mini muffin pans with 36 liners. Set aside.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and spices. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, with an electric mixer, combine butter and sugar until light and fluffy.Add in egg, pumpkin puree, dry ingredients, and then milk.
- Fill each lined cup and bake for about 15 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool <b>completely</b> before frosting.
- For the Frosting:
- Beat butter in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and melted chocolate; mix well.
- Stir cinnamon into confectioners' sugar. Gradually add to butter mixture, beating until well blended after each addition and scraping sides and bottom of bowl frequently.
- Beat in milk until light and fluffy. If frosting is too thick to spread, gradually beat in additional milk. Store in refrigerator up to 2 weeks. Rewhip before using.
A Wilton 1M frosting tip was used to frost the cupcakes pictured. They were topped with orange sprinkles for a festive look! Enjoy!