Summertime is filled with family fun, cookouts, and refreshing treats. It’s my favorite time of the year. With the unofficial kick-off to summer, Memorial Day, coming up you might be looking for a special sweet treat to make for your friends and family. These Cherry Limeade Cupcakes are the perfect summertime dessert! Many thanks to The Hershey Company for sponsoring today’s Cherry Limeade Cupcake recipe.
Cherry limeade is such a refreshing drink during the summer months. Flavored with fresh limes and maraschino cherry juice, these cupcakes are full of summer flavor. The cupcake recipe is similar to my Fruit Punch Soda Cupcakes and the simple lime buttercream icing is perfection. I have to tell you, this cupcake is heavenly.
Summertime. How sweet it is.
Most Cherry Limeade Cupcakes I have seen have a lime cupcake and cherry frosting, so I decided to do something a little different. I made cherry cupcakes flavored with maraschino cherry juice and Cherry 7UP, and topped them with a tangy lime frosting that is out of this world delicious.
These cupcakes have yet another special twist. Instead of poking a paper straw into them, like you often see, the sweet cherry goodness continues with Twizzlers Twists. I love that cherry flavor and think this edible option is way more fun than a paper straw.
Cherry Limeade Cupcakes
yields 18 cupcakes
1 box white cake mix (with NO pudding)
3.4 ounce box of instant vanilla pudding
3 eggs at room temperature
1/4 cup maraschino cherry juice, cherries reserved
1/4 cup canola oil
12 ounces (1 can) Cherry 7UP
red food coloring (optional)
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
5 to 6 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons lime juice, freshly squeezed
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon lime zest
green food coloring (optional)
9 Twizzlers Twists, cut in half
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Place cupcake liners in muffin pans.
2. In a medium bowl with a hand mixer or in a stand mixer, combine and mix all ingredients on medium speed for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. If desired, stir in a few drops of red food coloring until batter is pink.
3. Pour mixture into prepared muffin pan. Bake 20 to 24 minutes or until toothpick inserted into cupcakes comes out clean. Let cool completely.
4. Meanwhile, prepare the frosting. Place butter in a large bowl and beat with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add 5 cups of powdered sugar, salt, lime juice, and lime zest. Mix until a thick and creamy consistency is achieved. Add more powdered sugar until the frosting is of a good spreading (or piping) consistency. Mix in a tiny amount of green food coloring if you’d like the frosting to have a green tint.
5. Pipe or spread frosting atop cooled cupcakes. Top each cupcake with one of the reserved cherries. Poke one half of a Twizzlers Cherry Twist into the top of each cupcake, to resemble a straw.
Note: If you’re like me and pile on the frosting, you may need to double the frosting recipe. If you have any frosting leftover, it’s a bonus!
Make every summer activity sweeter with a fruity, long-lasting treat to entertain, like Twizzlers Twists, which are offered in a resealable bag for convenient on-the-go sharing! For more information, including crafts and recipes, visit CelebrateWithHersheys.com.
Disclaimer: Compensation was provided by The Hershey Company via MomTrends. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions of The Hershey Company or Momtrends.