This coffee filter planet Earth craft is a great for Earth Day craft or a planets unit study. Our oldest was obsessed with planets a couple of years ago and we did a lot of crafts like this. This activity is a super easy and inexpensive craft to do with kids on Earth Day.
This post contains affiliate links. That means, if you purchase something from these links, About a Mom earns a small commission.
Earth Day Craft for Kids
Earth Day is celebrated by millions of people around the world. It’s a time to promote awareness for the health of our environment. It is never too early to begin teaching children how to take care of our planet and this fun Earth Day craft is a great way to introduce children to the fragility of our planet.
I’m not a coffee drinker, tea is my thing, but I keep a supply of coffee filters with our craft supplies for fun crafts like this one.
Before you get started on this Planet Earth Craft, be sure to check these other Earth Day Activities:
Make these fun Earth Day Cookies!
And, check out these fun Springtime Jokes for Kids!
Coffee Filter Planet Earth Craft
- Coffee filters
- Blue marker
- Green marker
- Spray bottle
1. Color the coffee filter with the blue marker and green marker. Remind kids that Earth is made up of a lot more water, so they will want to color more blue than green. We started by coloring most of the coffee filter with blue and then went back and added some green. As you can see in the picture, you don’t have to be neat or stay in the lines when coloring this.
2. Spray coffee filter with water. until the coffee filter is saturated. We did this outside, so that the colored water could drip on the ground. You could also do it over the sink, just rinse the sink immediately after you finish the project. As you are spraying the coffee filter, the colors are running and combining. You might need to rotate the coffee filter as you are spraying to get all the entire surface.
Related Article: Earth Day Activities for Kids and Free Printables
3. Lay the coffee filter out to dry.
As you can see, each one is unique based on how much green was added and how the colors ran together.
1. Coffee filter crafts like this are super easy, super inexpensive, and super easy to set up. If you are huge coffee drinker, or crafter, and want to get a great deal on coffee filters, you can order them online. It brings the filters down to 3 cents per filter.
2. Need markers but don’t want to go to the store? Grab markers online and save time.
Related Article: Spring Scavenger Hunt Printable
Please help support this blog.
If you enjoy the recipes, crafts and ideas for family fun that we share on About a Mom, I hope you’ll use our Amazon affiliate link when you shop. It is no additional cost to you and helps us to continue providing free content. Also, please take a few minutes to look around and check out our other content.
Written by About a Mom contributor, Kim. Kim, the mama behind The Resourceful Mama, is a medical social worker turned stay at home mom to three. She enjoys sharing simple crafts and activities, parenting and homemaking tips, and a lot of holiday fun.