Sometimes you just need to step outside the box a bit or color outside the lines. Keep life interesting by doing things a little differently, mix things up.
I think that’s what Oscar Mayer has done with their new Deli Fresh BOLD lunch meats. The delicious BOLD new flavors include: Italian Style Herb Turkey Breast, Cajun Style Turkey Breast, Maple Honey Ham, and Chipotle Season Chicken Breast. Getting hungry yet? I’m following their lead and sharing some ways to take a sandwich from ordinary to BOLD with these fun sandwich ideas for kids.
This sponsored post was written while participating in my partnership with Oscar Mayer and One2One Network, but as always, all opinions are my own. I received Deli Fresh BOLD coupons and other related items from Oscar Mayer/Kraft Foods.
Related Article: DIY Lunchables Bento for Kids
Fun Sandwich Ideas for Kids
You know how things are just better when served in a jar or made as a miniature? I think the same applies to foods on a stick. This sandwich on a stick is so simple to construct and fun to eat.
To make these fun deconstructed sandwiches, you will need some long wooden skewers. If your child is prone to sword fighting or sticking things into their eyes, I recommend cutting the point off or forgoing the sticks all together.
You will also need some miniature cookie cutters. I have an old Pampered Chef set of miniatures that I like to use, but any small cookie cutter will do.
Sandwich on a Stick
Oscar Mayer Deli Fresh BOLD lunch meat
lettuce torn into small pieces
To make, simply cut your cheese into fun shapes then skewer all of the ingredients onto the stick. Fold the lunch meat several times, until it is small enough to fit onto the stick and stay in place.
To eat, remove all the sandwich ingredients from the stick and serve with a bit of mayo or mustard. Kids will have fun pulling off the ingredients and building their miniature sandwiches!
Related Article: Creative and Fun After School Snack Ideas for Kids
I got the inspiration for this fun racecar sandwich from a book by Nancy Tuminelly, titled “Cool Sandwich Food Art”. It was one of the many goodies I received from Oscar Mayer to write this blog post. After sharing apple racecars on the blog last week, I simply couldn’t resist doing another racecar.
1 hoagie roll
2 slices cheese
4 slices Oscar Mayer Deli Fresh BOLD Mesquite Smoked Turkey Breast
3 cherry tomatoes
2 slices sandwich pickles
carrot stick (slivered)
mayonnaise and mustard (optional)
1. Slice the hoagie roll. Cut a hole across the top for the roll, being careful not to cut all the way through.
2. Cut a small triangle out of the cheese and set it aside to use later. Put the remaining cheese and deli meat on the bottom half of the roll.
3. Put mayonnaise and mustard on the top half of the roll, and top with lettuce. Place the top half of the roll on the bottom half.
4. Slice two of the tomatoes n half. Cut four slices of cucumber. Using toothpicks, attach the tomatoes to the cucumbers and stick the toothpicks into the side of the sandwich. These are the car wheels.
5. For the driver’s body, slice off the end of the cucumber. Use a toothpick to attach the third tomato and pickle slices. That is your driver. Place the driver in the hole you cut in step 1.
6. Cut a slice of cucumber. Cut the cucumber slice in half, and remove most of the flesh, leaving a crescent shape. Use a knife to cut two small slits into the top of the roll and insert the crescent shaped cucumber. This is the dashboard.
7. Use a toothpick to insert on slivered carrot stick into the front of the roll. This is the car’s hood ornament.
8. Use a toothpick and the reserved triangle of cheese to add a flag to the back of the racecar.
Remember to remove the toothpicks before you eat your racecar!
I love making fun food for kids, and using Oscar Mayer Deli Fresh BOLD Lunch Meat makes it delicious too. Don’t let the BOLDNESS scare you off though, BOLD doesn’t mean spicy – just lots of great flavor that the whole family will enjoy.
Have fun, be BOLD!
You might also enjoy these: