I’ve been baking and decorating cakes for many years, but for some reason homemade candy has always intimidated me a little. Making each little piece of candy seems so labor intensive. That all changed when I happened upon this Nutella Chocolate Hearts candy recipe. It’s so simple to make, and you wouldn’t believe how rich and delicious it is! These rich chocolaty hearts truly tastes like something you would buy from one of those expensive gourmet chocolate stores.
You may also like these simple 3-Ingredient No-Bake Valentine Treats.
This candy recipe is pretty much a no-brainer – you simply can’t go wrong with the combination of Nutella and chocolate. The recipe yields a lot of candy hearts, so it’s a great one for gift giving. I used a 1 1/2 inch heart shape cutter and got 95 pieces from the recipe.
Related Article: 50 of the Best Printable Valentine’s Day Cards
Nutella Chocolate Hearts Candy Recipe
- 1 tub 16 ounce chocolate frosting
- 1 cup Nutella
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 18 ounces semi-sweet chocolate pieces
- 2 - 3 tablespoons shortening
- sprinkles or colored candy coating for drizzle
- Place the chocolate frosting and the Nutella in the bowl of a large stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium-low speed until combined.
- Add the powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Mix on low speed until the dry ingredients are completely incorporated, stopping periodically to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- Candy should be soft enough to shape, but firm enough to hold its body (similar in texture to playdough). If it seems too soft, you can add additional powdered sugar, if it is too stiff, you can knead in an extra spoonful or two of Nutella.
- Roll the candy out between two sheets of waxed paper until it is about 1/2-inch thick or a little thicker.
- Use a small heart shaped cookie cutter to cut out as many small hearts as you can fit. You can knead the candy scraps back together and roll it out again to cut more hearts. I was able to get 60 hearts using a 1 1/2 inch cutter.
- Once you have your hearts cut out, melt the chocolate pieces and shortening on the stovetop, over low heat. Use additional shortening if the chocolate is too thick.
- Use a fork to dip a heart into the melted chocolate. Remove it from the coating and scrape the bottom with a spoon or spatula to remove excess chocolate. Place the dipped heart on a foil-covered baking sheet and repeat with remaining hearts and melted chocolate.
- If desired, decorate with sprinkles while wet, or drizzle with white, pink, or red candy coating.
- Store candy hearts in an airtight container in the refrigerator or at cool room temperature for up to two weeks.
Oh yes! Those look divine! Stumbled!
Nicole Lancaster says
Very Cute! They would be a prefect Valentine treat to give away to friends.
These look way too easy to make and too delicious. They are just plain dangerous!
Lucy Lopez says
My kids love Nutella and chocolate so they are going to love these. Thanks for sharing.
Mmmm Nutella. What a cute Valentine’s Day gift!
Leigh Anne says
Love anything with Nutella. These are so pretty
I just started a new Finding the Pretty & Delicious Linky Party on my blog this week – would love to have you stop by and share! http://www.yourhomebasedmom.com/finding-the-pretty-delicious-linky-party/
RANDY FULGHAM says
NICE REVIEW AND THANKS FOR THE RECIPE.
Oh my! I HAVE to make these! They look so delicious! I just had to put in some extreme effort there to stop me licking the screen 😮 Haha
Thanks for posting!
Ha! I’m so glad you refrained! Glad you like it!
Wanda Tracey says
They look divine and would make lovely gifts too.
Looks amazing! I am going to make this for my husband’s birthday