Can you believe that Halloween is less than 2 weeks away? With Halloween costumes and decorations still to make, I’m looking for some simple Halloween snacks that can be whipped up in a jiffy. Jamie from Searching4Savings.com has a really fun guest recipe post for us today. Her Spider Chip Cookies for Halloween start off with a delicious chocolate chip cookie recipe and get finished off with a spooky spider surprise.
First you make the chocolate chip cookies (recipe below). Next, you use black gel frosting to add some super spooky spiders.
Here’s a spider in the making…
Spooky Spider Chip Cookies for Halloween
Spider Chip Cookies for Halloween
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2 sticks butter, softened
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups 12-oz. pkg. Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Black Gel Frosting
- Red Gel Frosting Optional
- Cookie Instructions:
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat together butter, white sugar, brown sugar and vanilla.
- Using a stand mixer (or hand mixer) add eggs one at time to butter mixture, beating well after each addition. Continue to beat mixture until creamy.
- Slowly add in your dry ingredients to your wet ingredients, mixing well and scraping the sides of the bowl down. Mix until all ingredients are well combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Refrigerate dough for 1-2 hours, or until chilled through.
- Drop 1 inch sized balls of dough onto a well greased cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 9-10 minutes.
- Spider Instructions:
- Allow cookies to cool on a baking rack. Once cookies have cooled completely, add a small dot of black gel frosting.
- Using a toothpick, pull the frosting out at 4 corners to create the main 4 legs of your spider.
- Continuing pulling out 2 additional legs on each side, in between the larger lines.
- Drop a small dot of red gel frosting onto the bottom of the spider to give it a Black Widow look.
Paula @ Frosted Fingers says
Those are really cute! Does the gel dry? Those would be a great idea for tonight’s concession sales.
Lisa @ Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy says
what acute idea that kids would love
I have such a spider phobia that I couldn’t eat these, lol…but my kids would think they are great!
Marcie W. says
These are really super awesome!! I would love to surprise my kids with a batch as an after school snack.
Amy Orvin says
No, I can’t believe Halloween is so close now. I think these cookies are so cute! The little spider really makes it. Great idea!!
Tiff @ Babes and Kids says
These are such a cute idea!
Love this! What a neat idea!
Ty @ Mama of 3 Munchkins says
These look amazing! I just may have to make some of these for my kids next weekend!
Tricia @ Night owl mama says
wow that is a fabulous and creative Idea we’ll definitely have to make these up.
Those totally look like little spiders. Love it!