We will soon be seeing green, with St. Patrick’s Day just a few weeks away. Although I am not of Irish descent, I have always loved the festivities that comes with this holiday. In addition to making a corned beef dinner and wearing something green, it’s also fun to make a St. Patrick’s Day inspired sweet treat like these Green Tea Shamrock Cookies.
These cookies are so tasty! The green tea flavor blends perfectly with the basic sugar cookie recipe. I especially like that these are not overly sweet cookies and have a nice bit of crunch to them.
Whenever possible, I opt for using green foods instead of food coloring. Pea Pesto and Green Macaroni and Cheese are a couple of my favorite kid-friendly green meals that get their color from green vegetables. Green Tea (matcha) which is often used in Japanese sweets, is perfect for giving St. Patrick’s Day cookies a green color.
Loaded with antioxidants, Match Green Tea is really good for you too!
Green Tea Shamrock Cookies
2/3 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons matcha green tea powder
1 teasoop baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
In a large bowl, mix the butter with sugar until light and fluffy; beat in egg and vanilla. Whisk together flour, matcha green tea powder, baking powder and salt. Gradually stir into the butter mixture until dough comes together.
Divide the dough in half, form into discs and wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Let stand at room temperature until soft enough to roll out, about 15 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 °F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and roll to 1/4 inch thick. Use shamrock shaped cookie cutter to make cookie shapes, re-rolling any scraps. Repeat process with the remaining dough.
Place cookies onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are light brown. Let cookies cool for a minute on baking sheets then transfer to racks and let them cool completely.
Recipe yields 1 1/2 – 2 dozen cookies, depending on the size of your cookie cutter.
For more amazing St. Patrick’s Day ideas, check out some blog posts from a few of my favorite bloggers:
- Bailey’s Irish Cream Non Alcoholic Irish Coffee Creamer from Confessions of an Overworked Mom
- Irish Potatoes Candy Recipe from My So Called Balance Life
- Simple No Bake Chocolate Crossies in Green from Two Girls One Boy and a Crazy Mom
- DIY St. Patrick’s Day Mason Jar Planters from Home and Garden Cafe
- St. Patrick’s Day cupcakes with a healthier twist from Our Family World
- Simple Shamrock Picture (DIY Shamrock Crafts) from Simply Southern Mom
- Kiss Me I’m Irish DIY Burlap Bag from A Mom’s Take
- Mint Sugar Scrub from Better in Bulk
- Mason Jar Tealights from Upstate Ramblings
- White Hot Chocolate Recipe from This Mama Loves
- DIY Hulk Green Slim from Momma D Jane
- A simple Irish dinner from Day by Day in Our World
- Infinite Luck Bracelet from Style on Main
- Reuben Sandwich from How Was Your Day?