The new school year is just around the corner and personalizing your child’s back to school gear is a great way to make the first day of school more special for them. My brain has been working overtime coming up with fun back to school crafts for kids and teacher’s gifts, after Michaels invited me to participate in their First Day of School Blogger Challenge. Michaels provided me with a gift card to gather supplies. Then I quickly got busy looking for inspiration online, and in craft books and magazines. Laura and I will be sharing quite a few back to school inspired crafts over the next couple of weeks, in fact we already got started with these Pipe Cleaner Pencil Toppers and this fun Pencil Flower Bouquet teacher gift. For the Michaels First Day of School Blogger Challenge we are sharing these adorable Monster Pencil Cases.
Kids can practice their sewing skills making these pencil cases, and they’re not only cute but also very practical. Pencils, crayons and other school supplies will fit perfectly into this personalized pencil case.
All of the supplies for these pencil cases came from Michaels craft store. It’s a very inexpensive project that the kids are sure to have a lot of fun making.
Supplies You’ll Need:
large 12 in x 18 in piece of Creatology Craft Foam
yarn in a contrasting color (you’ll want yarn that’s not overly fluffy)
child safe plastic needle (found in the embroidery section at Michaels)
large googly eyes
sticky back double sided Velcro (we used 3 1/2 inch strips but a couple of dots would be fine)
1. Begin by cutting the foam sheet in half so that you end up with two pieces that are 9 in by 6 in.
2. Measure about 4 1/2 inches from the bottom of the foam sheet, lengthwise. Fold that section up, forming the bottom of the pencil case.
3. Thread a long piece of yarn onto the needle and sew both 6 inch sides together using an overcast stitch. This will create the pencil case pouch. The top flap will be folded down and secured later. To make the overcast stitch, start on one side of the edge you want to finish. Make a series of equal-spaced and diagonal stitches that loop around the edge of the foam, tying off to secure at each end. You’ll want to double knot the ends to make sure it is secure.
4. If you want to give your monster some teeth, simply do a large zig zag stitch along the bottom of the foam flap that folds down over the top of the case.
5. Attach the sticky back Velcro to the underside of the top flap and the bottom of the pencil case, as shown in the picture below. This will ensure that all those pencils and crayons don’t fall out.
6. Glue on googly eyes and fill with pencils!
This fun back to school craft for kids is brought to you through the Michaels First Day of School Blogger Challenge. Check out the Michaels web site and Michael’s Pinterest Page for more back to school crafts inspiration.