This post is brought to you in partnership with Rachael Ray Nutrish.
From treats to long walks, I love spoiling my dogs. The love I get from them is unconditional, so I want to be sure that they feel loved in return. My dogs seem to need lots of special attention, and I suspect that’s the case with most dogs. I thought it would be fun to put together a list of 9 ways to show your dog love, and I am eager to hear some of the ways you show your pups some extra TLC (so please leave me a comment).
9 Ways to Show Your Dog Love
1. Take a walk. I know it’s pushing 100 degrees outside and before long we’ll be battling the snow and ice, but dogs need exercise. Chances are so do you (self included, of course). It doesn’t have to be a marathon, but taking your dog for a walk will give him or her a chance to be an explorer and is a great way to keep your dog healthy. This time of the year, I recommend an early morning or late evening walk so your pups paws don’t get burned on the hot pavement.
2. Give your dog a good rub down. Dogs love massages, and like people they have relaxation trigger points that can help them relax. My dog, Winston, has a tendency to get stressed out. A gentle massage behind his ears seems to help him relax.
3. Lots or brushing. Both of my dogs love getting brushed. It seems to relax them. Matted fur can be uncomfortable for a dog, so a regular brushing offers multiple benefits.
4. Give your pup a special treat. My dogs love Nutrish Soup Bones and Savory Bites, but sometimes I make them homemade dog treats. They go wild for snacks!
5. Talk to your dog. My dogs are so funny when I talk to them. They love hearing what good dogs they are. I know when they are paying close attention, because of the little head tilt they do. You can read to your dog, or even sing to them. My Mom, who has a lovely voice, sings to my dogs all the time and they just love it.
6. Have play time. Pets need toys just like kids. Even an old sock tied into a knot will provide your pet with enjoyment. Both of my dogs love playing fetch, so I try to take some time out every afternoon to toss a ball or Frisbee in the back yard for them. Make a trip to the dog park. Take your dog to the beach or put a kiddie pool in the backyard. Dogs love playing in water.
7. Keep your dog clean and well groomed. Pets like to be clean and well groomed; it contributes to their health and well being. Whether you groom your pet at home or take them to the professional groomer, make sure your dog gets regular bathing and grooming, including pawdicures. Don’t forget to take care of your pets teeth. My Veterinarian says that plaque build up and infected teeth is a serious health concern for pets that can spiral into a host of other health issues. There are different types of brushes and toothpaste for pets at your local pet store, and you’re sure to find a toothpaste that your dog likes. If you’re squeamish about actually brushing your pet’s teeth, look for bones and biscuits that are made with special additives for dental care and make sure your pet gets one once a day.
8. Extra snuggle time. Either get down on the floor or sit on the couch with your dogs and give them some extra snuggle time. My sweet Lilly is a super snuggly dog, and craves extra attention. I have the luxury of working from home, and spend part of my day working from the couch with a dog snuggled up on either side of me. You don’t have to be home all day to snuggle with your pets, just take an extra 10-15 minutes out of your schedule and snuggle up with your dog.
9. Feed your dog a nutritious diet. A healthy diet is a very important part of a pets health. I feed Winston and Lilly Rachael Ray Nutrish dog food. They eat the Nutrish wet food twice a day at meal time, and I put a bowl of Nutrish Dry Dog Food out in the evening for them to snack on. Rachael Ray™ Nutrish® Naturally Delish™ is the first natural wet food for dogs inspired by tasty recipes from Rachael’s kitchen. They are made with simple, wholesome ingredients like tender meat and veggies. There’s no corn, no wheat*, no soy and no fillers or artificial flavors — just essential vitamins and minerals for a nutritious and delicious food. My dogs love it!
Many thanks to Nutrish for sponsoring this post, and for making wonderfully healthy and delicious treats and food that my dogs love!