Back in August I introduced you to the Big Fat Notebooks series, a must-have, revolutionary study guide for middle school students. I’ve partnered with Workman Publishing once again to chat more about the Big Fat Notebook series, and to share a delicious Pumpkin Spice No Bake Cereal Bars recipe with you that’s perfect for after-school study time.
I know I’ve said it before, but these books really do make learning FUN. They are wonderfully illustrated and presented in a way that makes kids want to read them. They are nothing at all like the boring old textbooks you and I grew up with. The Big Fat Notebooks are kind of sneaky. You have so much fun reading them, that you don’t even realize that you’re learning stuff. Much like the way I snuck a bunch of healthy ingredients into these cereal bars. Brain food at its best.
The Big Fat Notebook series is built on a simple and irresistible conceit—borrowing the notes from the smartest kid in class. There are five books in all, and each is the only book you need for each main subject taught in middle school: Math, Science, American History, English Language Arts, and World History. Inside the reader will find every subject’s key concepts, easily digested and summarized: Critical ideas highlighted in neon colors. Definitions explained. Doodles that illuminate tricky concepts in marker. Mnemonics for memorable shortcuts. And quizzes to recap it all.
The Big Fat Notebooks meet Common Core State Standards, Next Generation Science Standards, and state history standards, and are vetted by National and State Teacher of the Year Award–winning teachers. They make learning fun and are the perfect next step for every kid who grew up on Brain Quest. Learn more from the Big Fat Notebook Official Site.
You’re going to love this next part… You can purchase the entire #BigFatNotebooks series (or your child’s favorite individual book) at any of your favorite book sellers like Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Indiebound, and Workman.
In the meantime, here’s a fun printable to get you thinking like a scientist!
In honor of fueling our brains, I’ve created a delicious and healthy after-school snack that the whole family will enjoy. And, it requires NO BAKING. You’re welcome!
Since it’s October, I put some Fall flavors into these cereal bars by using Pumpkin Spice Cheerios, dried cranberries, pecans and dried apples. Peanut butter and honey are the glue that hold it all together. You can easily change up this recipe with different fruits and nuts. Just keep it healthy. It’s brain food, after all.
Pumpkin Spice No Bake Cereal Bars
4 cups Pumpkin Spice Cheerios (or other toasted oat cereal)
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup dried apples, diced
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup honey
1. Lightly grease a square 8-inch pan, set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine the cereal, fruit and nuts. Mix well.
3. In a small saucepan, heat the peanut butter and honey until well combined and smooth, stirring constantly.
4.Pour the peanut butter and honey mixture over the cereal mixture, toss to coat well.
5.Firmly press mixture into the bottom of prepared pan. Allow to cool completely, then cut into bars.
Recipe adapted from Chew Out Loud.
This post was sponsored by Workman Publishing and Big Fat Notebooks. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own. Be sure to follow the Workman Blog for more great ideas.
Pumpkin Spice No Bake Cereal Bars
- 4 cups Pumpkin Spice Cheerios or other toasted oat cereal 1 cup dried cranberries 1 cup dried apples, diced 1/2 cup chopped pecans 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter 1/2 cup honey
- 1. Lightly grease a square 8-inch pan, set aside. 2. In a large bowl, combine the cereal, fruit and nuts. Mix well. 3. In a small saucepan, heat the peanut butter and honey until well combined and smooth, stirring constantly. 4.Pour the peanut butter and honey mixture over the cereal mixture, toss to coat well. 5.Firmly press mixture into the bottom of prepared pan. Allow to cool completely, then cut into bars.