A marinade of soy sauce, ginger, and lime juice with honey and spices tenderizes and flavors these Hawaiian Kabobs made with Chicken, Bacon and Pineapple. The sweet, sticky kabobs will add some tropical flair to your dinner table or backyard party.
These Hawaiian Kabobs are simple to make, full of flavor, and great for a party.
Chicken and Bacon Hawaiian Kabobs
makes 5 skewers
1 1⁄2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bit sized cubes (about 3-4 breasts)
15 ounce can of pineapple chunks, juice reserved
10 strips of bacon
2 TBS ketchup
2 TBS soy sauce
1 inch knob fresh ginger, peeled and minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1⁄4 tsp black pepper
1 TBS lime juice
1 TBS honey
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together 1⁄2 cup reserved pineapple juice, ketchup, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, black pepper, lime juice, and honey until completely mixed. Add chicken cubes; refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
2. Heat your grill over medium heat, with the lid closed.
Note: The natural sugar released from the pineapple can cause a sticky situation. Either oil the grill in advance, or grill over foil.
3. To assemble your skewers: spear one end of bacon through the skewer, then add 1 cube chicken, 2 pineapple cubes, and then spear the bacon again (kind of wrapping the bacon around), add another cube of chicken, 2 pineapples, and then secure the end of the bacon slice on the skewer. Add another slice of bacon and repeat steps. Each skewer should have 2 pieces of bacon and about 4-5 pieces of chicken. Repeat for all skewers.
4. Brush grill with oil or spray with non stick spray. Add skewers to grill, close and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, turn to the other side, brush with marinade, and cook another 4-5 minutes. Remove from grill.
5. Let skewers rest for 5 minutes and then serve immediately. Discard any remaining marinade.