If you are in the market for a new delicious dinner to enjoy, then I have a recipe for you. This Hamburger Stroganoff Casserole is the perfect dish to enjoy with friends and family. You can make this for any occasion and is a great way to make a big meal for a big family.
HAMBURGER STROGANOFF CASSEROLE
This Stroganoff Casserole is a wonderful blend of ingredients and is absolutely amazing! This recipe has soft egg noodles with beef, some veggies, and cheese. This recipe is so simple to make and will definitely be a favorite. You will want to keep this one handy for future meals.
When I got married about twenty-seven years ago, my new Mother-in-Law gifted me her 1963 McCall’s Cook Book with the inscription “Happy Cooking!” For quite a few years, the recipes in this book were some of the only things I could make.
Armed with this cookbook, and a few family recipes from my Mom, I slowly began to expand my culinary repertoire. Dishes like the once a week tuna casserole with a potato chip topping became a thing of the past. This Hamburger Stroganoff Casserole recipe is inspired by of my favorites from the McCall’s Cook Book.
It’s been years since I made the Hamburger and Noodles Stroganoff from my early years of marriage, and I’m not quite sure what got me thinking about it last week. But it was time to give the classic casserole recipe a bit of an update. I’m liking how it turned out.
What Is Stroganoff Sauce Made Of?
The Stroganoff Sauce is by far the best part of this dish. It has a great flavor and it absorbs into the meat and noodles for a tender and juicy texture. The sauce is made from flour, tomato sauce, beef broth, salt, pepper, and a bit of sour cream for that creamy consistency.
How Do You Add Flavor To Stroganoff?
The way this Stroganoff is made, most of the flavor comes from the sauce. The different ingredients add flavor to the meat and noodle. If you follow the recipe, the ingredients fit very well and don’t need much else, but adding herbs and spices can enhance the flavor if need be.
What Can I Use Instead Of Sour Cream In Beef Stroganoff?
If you do not have sour cream for this recipe, there is a simple alternative. You can substitute Greek Yogurt for your sauce in place of the sour cream. This will be perfect for consistency and is even a healthier option for this dish if you decide to use it.
4 ounces wide egg noodles
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 pound white mushrooms, sliced
1 pound ground chuck
1 tablespoon flour
1 can (8 ounce) tomato sauce
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 can (10 1/2 ounce) beef broth
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup dairy sour cream
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
How to Make Beef Stroganoff
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare noodles according to package directions, drain.
Bake uncovered for 25 minutes.
Hamburger Stroganoff Casserole
- 4 ounces wide egg noodles
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 pound white mushrooms sliced
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 8 ounce tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 10 1/2 ounce beef broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup dairy sour cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare noodles according to package directions, drain.
- Meanwhile, in hot butter in a large skillet over medium heat, saute the onion, garlic, and mushrooms. Saute until the onion is golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add beef to the skillet. Cook and stir until it is browned about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in flour, tomato sauce, tomato paste, beef broth, salt, and pepper.
- Return the pan back to the hear and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Blend in sour cream.
- In a lightly greased 2-quart casserole dish, layer a third of the noodles, then a third of the meat mixture. Repeat twice. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 25 minutes.