If you’re regular reader of this blog, you know that we are always trying to come up with holiday craft projects using things that can easily be found around the house. Living so far from any craft stores has forced my daughter and I to become more resourceful. Last week I used a men’s tube sock to create this cute snowman candy dish, so here I was left with an unmatched tube sock… what is a crafty person to do with that? After doing a little browsing on the internet, I decided to make a sock snowman. I am now wishing I had taken more pics to show a step-by-step tutorial, but anyway here you have it… How to Make a Sock Snowman.
Here’s What You’ll Need
men’s tube sock (size large)
rice (2 lb bag)
2 large rubber bands
1. To form the body, fill sock with rice (to desired size) and secure tightly with a rubber band.
2. Add more rice to the sock to form the head, and secure tightly with a rubber band.
3. Cut off excess sock from top.
4. Using your hands, scrunch and mold with your hands to create shape that you want.
5. Use glue gun, to further secure the head to the body.
6. To create hat, measure the diameter of the head where you want the hat to set. Cut a rectangular piece of fabric the width that you measured. Flannel worked nicely for this. Hand sew the seam to form a tube. Turn inside out and using a needle and thread, gather one end tightly to form the top of the hat. Turn hat right side out, fold the bottom of the fabric to form a rim. Attach the hat to the snowman’s head using glue gun. Glue pom pom to top of hat.
7. To create the face use pom poms and felt for the eyes, nose, and mouth. I added a dab of blush to the cheeks, and glued on miniature snow flakes (optional).
8. To create the scarf, cut a long rectangular piece of fabric that and tie it around the snowman’s neck.
You can use whatever you have on hand to create the face, hat and scarf. If you don’t have any pom poms for the face, scraps of felt would work just fine.