This Tex-Mex Slow Cooker Chicken Chili recipe is incredibly flavorful and comes together easily in the slow cooker. Made with dried beans and just a few additional ingredients, this chicken chili recipe is also easy on the budget. It is a mildly hot chili and a hearty meal the whole family will enjoy.
Tex-Mex Slow Cooker Chicken Chili
I’d like to thank Hurst Brand for sponsoring this Tex-Mex inspired slow cooker chicken chili recipe. Hurst’s® HamBeens® is a family run company. I’ve really enjoyed partnering with them over these last few months and am proud to share their products with my recipes.
If you enjoy beans and easy comfort food, be sure to check out my other recipes featuring Hurst Beans. The Slow Cooker Cajun 15 Bean Soup with Sausage, Chicken and Bacon, Italian Bean Soup, BBQ Cowboy Beans, and Cowboy Chili recipes are all super delicious.
I can’t even tell you how much my family raves about this chicken chili. Andy’s mom is down for a visit, escaping the New York winter, and I think I really won her over with this meal.
Slow Cooker Chili Beans
This easy Tex Mex Slow Cooker Chicken Chili recipe is made with Hurst’s® HamBeens® Slow Cooker Chili Mix. It’s a delicious mix of pinto, black, red, and kidney beans and is paired with a classic chili seasoning and designed specially for your slow cooker.
Having the seasoning packet included with the beans makes preparing chili so incredibly easy. The chili seasoning packet is low in sodium, so you can control how much salt you want to add. I recommend adding the salt and any tomato products at the end of the cooking time, because both can inhibit the bean softening process if added at the beginning of the cooking time. For this recipe I added half of the seasoning packet at the beginning, and during the last hour of cook time the remainder, along with the tomatoes.
You can find where this Hurst Beans mix is available in your area here or order online. It is readily available where I shop at Publix, in Florida.
How to Make Tex Mex Slow Cooker Chicken Chili
You will need to make this recipe in at least a 6-quart size crock pot or slow cooker. The recipe will easily serve 6-8 people, and if you’re lucky enough to have leftovers it tastes even better a day or two later. I recommend serving this chicken chili with some cornbread and a side salad for a complete meal.
Remove the seasoning packet, rinse the beans and pick through them to make sure they are clean before adding them to the slow cooker. There is NO soaking of the beans required. If you prefer, you can soak your dried beans overnight. They still are just as delicious without soaking them when I cook them in the slow cooker.
To the beans add two large boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced onion, diced green or yellow bell pepper, minced garlic, frozen corn, and diced mild green chiles. You will shred the cooked chicken later.
Also, add chicken broth, water and half of the seasoning packet. You could optionally use all water, instead of the chicken broth. I prefer the depth of flavor you get from the broth.
Give it all a gentle stir, and pop the lid onto your slow cooker and set the timer for 5 hours on high. You may need to adjust the time for your specific slow cooker, but I’ve found that the beans are tender at 5 hours on high in my 6-quart as well as 7-quart slow cookers. You’ll be adding an additional hour of cook time, after adding the remaining ingredients.
Shred the chicken with two forks, you can shred them right in the slow cooker if you like. Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, remaining seasoning packet, additional salt and pepper to taste, and hot sauce to taste. Five or six drops of hot sauce is usually all my 11-year-old will allow. You can always spice up your individual servings. Place the lid back onto the slow cooker and cook an additional 30-minutes to 1-hour.
Top with grated cheese and sour cream, if you like. Serve with cornbread or even corn chips for some crunch.
Tex-Mex Slow Cooker Chicken Chili
- 15.5 oz. pkg.Hurst’s® HamBeens® Slow Cooker Chili
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 yellow or green bell pepper diced
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 4 oz. can mild diced green chiles
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 14.5 oz. can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 6 oz. can tomato paste
- salt and pepper to taste
- hot sauce to taste
- No soaking the beans is required! Set seasoning packet aside. Rinse and sort through the beans, check for any unwanted debris and discard.
- Add rinsed beans, whole chicken breasts, onion, pepper, garlic, corn, green chiles, chicken stock, water and half of the seasoning packet into a 6 quart slow cooker. (The remaining seasoning mix, tomatoes, salt, pepper and hot sauce will be added later.)
- Stir to combine. Place lid on slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 6 hours.
- Use two forks to shred the chicken. You may shred right in the slow cooker or move to a cutting board to shred, and add back to the slow cooker. Add remaining contents of seasoning packet, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, salt and pepper to taste, and hot sauce to taste. Give it a stir, replace the lid and cook on HIGH for an additional 30 minutes to 1 hour, until beans are tender.
- Keep warm until ready to serve.
You might also like: