Maybe it’s that St. Patrick’s Day is still a recent memory, but I can’t get enough corned beef on rye these days. Another sandwich I’ve been craving is egg salad which is really strange for me. I’ve never been much of an egg person, but the last few weeks I can’t get enough of the stuff. Earlier this week, it occurred to me to try them together and knew immediately that I was onto something really special. You might not naturally pair these flavors, but they really do work. It’s a wonderful combo. Sometimes trying something unusual is the way to go. You probably know what a Strangewich is by now, and this corned beef and egg salad sandwich is just that. An unusual sandwich that tastes great! This is a sponsored post with Mirum Shopper about the Hellmann’s Strangewich Challenge, all opinions and recipe are my own.
A few weekends ago I was invited to hang out at Dale Jr’s pre-race pit stop party over at Walmart in Daytona where we sampled Strangewich creations and a lot more. I hope you’ll give my Strangewich recipe a try and create of of your own. You might remember that a while back Dale Jr. shared an incredibly delicious Strangewich that is still popular to this day. It was a banana sandwich made with Hellmann’s may. He recently shared another unique combo with his Turkey Nacho Crunch Strangewich. As a kid, I loved putting potato chips on my sandwich, so this one is right up my alley. Dale Jr. set the bar high with both of his recipes. I hope think my Corned Beef and Egg Salad Strangewich is equally delicious.
Corned Beef and Egg Salad Sandwich
My Strangewich twist is a combination of two of my favorite sandwiches. I used fresh sliced corned beef from my local deli, and topped it off with a simple egg salad recipe. Basically just chopped hard boiled eggs mixed with Hellmann’s mayonnaise and seasoned with a little salt and pepper. Easy peasy.
I used rye bread, but any bread will work. Then, I topped it all off with a some potato chips. Did you see that coming? Dale Jr. isn’t the only one who likes putting chips on his sandwich! That bit of crunch puts this strangewich over the top.
Corned Beef and Egg Salad Sandwich Recipe
yields: 1 sandwich
Deli sliced corned beef, 2-3 slices
1 slice Swiss cheese
2 tablespoons egg salad (recipe below)
handful of potato chips
2 slices rye bread
1/4 cup Hellmann’s mayo
1/2 teaspoon dill relish (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
1. Prepare egg salad. Place egg in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil and immediately remove from heat. Cover and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water, cool, peel and chop. Place chopped eggs in a bowl, add Hellmann’s mayonnaise, salt and pepper, and stir to combine.
On a piece of rye bread, add a layer of corned beef, then a layer of egg salad. Sprinkle some chips over the top of the egg salad. Spread some additional Hellmann’s mayonnaise onto the second piece of bread, and gently press onto the chips. Enjoy.
I had an absolute blast hanging out with Dale Jr. and his pit crew. We had a chance to see the pit crew in action while they demonstrated a pit stop. It was impressive seeing them in action. It all happens so fast! Those guys are incredible athletes.
There was also a Hellmann’s 88 simulator car at the event. I had a lot of fun getting behind the wheel, but let’s just say that driving in NASCAR isn’t in my future. Tons of fun none the less!
The highlight of the evening for me was the live #StrangewichChallenge where five families had a chance to share their own strangewich creations. The families grabbed their ingredients from inside Walmart, then made their sandwiches up on the stage. The winning strangewich was a crazy donut sandwich! Who would have guessed it?
The event was a great way to spend some time with fellow Dale Jr. fans and get a sneak peek at what goes on behind the scenes. It was an absolute blast!
Do you have what it takes to create a winning strangewich?
Hellmann’s Let’s Eat Strange Challenge
Try your hand and share your Strangewich creation on Instagram or Twitter for a chance to win some AMAZING PRIZES!!! One grand prize winner will receive a VIP NASCAR Experience for family of 4 & (5) 2nd Place Prizes will receive $500 Walmart Gift Cards!
When making your own strangewich creation don’t forget the Hellmann’s!
What’s on your strangewich?
Corned Beef and Egg Salad Sandwich Recipe
- Deli sliced corned beef 2-3 slices
- 1 slice Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons egg salad recipe below
- handful of potato chips
- 2 slices rye bread
- egg salad: 4 eggs 1/4 cup Hellmann's mayo 1/2 teaspoon dill relish optional salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare egg salad. Place egg in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil and immediately remove from heat. Cover and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water, cool, peel and chop. Place chopped eggs in a bowl, add Hellmann's mayonnaise, salt and pepper, and stir to combine.
- On a piece of rye bread, add a layer of corned beef, then a layer of egg salad. Sprinkle some chips over the top of the egg salad. Spread some additional Hellmann's mayonnaise onto the second piece of bread, and gently press onto the chips. Enjoy.