Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. It’s all about family, giving thanks, and lots of good food. Aside from preparing a huge meal and then trying to find space for all the leftovers, it’s fairly stress free in comparison to the holiday that follows. One of our favorite ways to celebrate holidays (and every day really 🙂 ) is to make crafts. This popsicle stick turkey is a great turkey craft to get you ready for Thanksgiving.
It’s a great way to get the kids excited and involved in the Thanksgiving festivities while you are planning the menu, shopping, and prepping food.
You need to gather a few supplies and do a little prep and then kids will be ready to get started on their turkey craft.
- Popsicle craft sticks (We used 7 to make our turkey craft.)
- Small craft sticks (We used 2.)
- Brown Paint
- Googly eyes
- Orange pipe cleaner
- Colored paper
- Glue gun
- School glue
1. The prep is similar to what we did when we made Popsicle Stick School Buses. Lay out seven popsicle sticks. Using a glue gun, glue two smaller mini craft sticks to the seven popsicle sticks to hold them together. This is the body of your turkey.
2. Paint the popsicle sticks brown.
3. Cut two pieces of orange pipe cleaner and glue to the back of the popsicle sticks so that they stick down for the turkey legs. Bend the pipe cleaners at the end of form feet.
4. Cut feathers from construction paper or card stock and glue to the back of the popsicle sticks, so that they stick out over the top.
5. Glue two googly eyes to the front of the turkey and beak cut from orange paper and a gobbler/wattle cut from red paper.
Written by About a Mom contributor, Kim. Kim, the mama behind The Resourceful Mama, is a medical social worker turned stay at home mom to three. She enjoys sharing simple crafts and activities, parenting and homemaking tips, and a lot of holiday fun.