As you probably know, I am a big fan of semi-homemade recipes. I love saving time by taking a basic cake mix, or in this case a brownie mix, and jazzing it up to be something that my family and friends will think I slaved over in the kitchen for hours. I love baking from scratch, but time doesn’t always permit, and quite honestly these semi-homemade goodies are always just as well received. This Sweetheart Brownies recipe begins with a basic boxed brownie mix, but turns into something delicious enough to serve to your sweetheart once you’ve added a little frosting and chocolate glaze.
- Your favorite brownie mix, prepared according to package directions
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) butter, softened
- 1 teaspoons vanilla or almond extract
- 1 1/2 tablespoons milk
- red food coloring, 1 to 2 drops
- [b]Chocolate Glaze:[/b]
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate pieces
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Red and pin sprinkles
- Prepare brownie mix according to package directions. Allow to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a medium bowl, combine all ingredients and beat until light and fluffy. If needed add additional milk, one teaspoon at a time until you’ve reached a smooth consistency. Using an offset spatula, spread frosting over the cooled brownies.
- For the chocolate glaze, in a small saucepan over low heat, warm chocolate and cream until smooth, stirring continuously. Once the chocolate glaze is smooth, pour over frosted brownies. Quickly spread and smooth with an offset spatula. Sprinkle generously with Valentine’s Day sprinkles.